Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 22:56:08 PST
C'mon, Robert. Gathering current market information and using
it in one's
decision-making process is hardly in violation of anti-trust
laws. It's just smart.

The information is of use to museum rights & reproductions
services/businesses (they
are really both) in that it is often very enlightening,
revealing that the same
clients are used to paying fees to commercial photo agencies
far higher than those
they pay to museums, and often for mundane images.

Many photo researchers look upon museums as sources of cheap
images.  I maintain
that museums' images are not "cheap" in any sense of the
word.  Considering the sums
museums put into preserving, restoring, storing, framing,
researching,
authenticating, etc., etc.  the objects and works of art that
appear in its
photographs, they offer extremely high value images -- in
every sense of the word.

(Before you fire off another sizzling post, yes I am in favor
of much lower rates
for purely scholarly use. But that's another story...)
-------------------------------------
amalyah keshet
director, visual resources, the israel museum, jerusalem
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
date: 01/21/97
visit our web site at http://www.imj.org.il

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997 08:34:33 -0500  Robert A. Baron wrote:
>At 09:01 AM 1/21/97 PST, Amalyah Keshet wrote:
>
>>Check with local photo agencies and museums to
>>get going market rates. You can also charge according to
size of