From:
Monifa Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:45:05 EST
Hi Angela,

I would like to answer your question from two vantage points:

I am a mother of a toddler.  I began taking him to museums when he was four
months old.  Along with introducing him to art, I explained the etiquette of
museum going.  By the time he was six months old he started expressing his
opinions.  He's not to impressed with Warhol but loves Diebenkorn LOL.

Last year I took him to the Diebenkorn exhibition at the Phillips Collection
here in Washington.  Upon seeing a two year old, the staff started to 'freak
out'.  They followed me, watched him and growled.  I was offended and tried to
gently let them know that we know how to behave in a museum.

I understand that children, especially in groups can be a handful.  Possibly,
the Education or Tours Department of your museum can alert you when schools or
other groups of young people will be attending.  An information packet
colorfully explaining museum etiquette could then be forwarded to the
school/group.  This information could be incorporated into the teacher's
lesson planning.  Voila....an exciting learning experience for them and fewer
headaches for you and your staff.

I think sophisticated, cultured, learned adults are cultivated and don't just
spring forth from the head of Zeus.  You more than likely have already 'won'
the adults that visit your museum.  Interest the energetic and giggling young
people and you will have patrons for a long time to come.

With respect and understanding,
Monifa Christian