From:
"Ciotola, Nicholas P." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:37:15 -0500
Students hoping for a career in museum work should keep in mind, too, that
another valid option is a graduate program in a discipline - such as history
- that does not have a museum studies certificate or a public history
program. Straight, academic history programs produce students with an
in-depth knowledge of historiography, excellent research and writing skills,
and expertise in the content of certain historical areas and time periods --
all of which can be applied to museum work.

Students pursuing this route, however, would do well to augment their
masters degree with internships and volunteer work at local museums --
thereby allowing them to gain the practical training that they are not
getting in the classroom.

An MA in History coupled with on-the-job experience is as valid a
preparatory route as an MA in Museum Studies, an MA in Public History, or an
MA coupled with a museum studies or public history certificate.

The roads to a lucrative museum career are many. Many well-established
professionals and recent newcomers to the field have pursued the route I
describe above.

Nick Ciotola
Senator John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center