From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 1995 23:18:33 -0400
I think that Bryon Johnson offered some excellent advice on the options to
consider if one were dealing with artifactual chain mail.

Since the query was asking about the stabilization of reproduction chain
mail, made from 16 gauge material (mild steel?) there are a greater range of
options which can be considered as Bryon alluded to.

I f they are cleaning the chain mail up and attempting to prevent future
corrosion, I would recommend a chemical cleaning process as opposed to
mechanical techniques for something as intricately interwoven as chain mail.
There are a variety of chemical methods (avoid strong acids!)  such as
chealating agents (EDTA, Oxalic Acid, etc.) which will strip the rust off of
the surface.  You would then want to degrease the surface of the metal in a
solvent such as denatured alcohol (remember to wear gloves, and lots of
ventilation, and no sources of ignition nearby!). Then you might consider
passivating the surface by forming a conversion coating (a preferentially
oxidized surface). This can be done by immersion in tannic acid, phosphoric
acid, or through other means such as chemical or heat blueing or browning.
 These techniques will form a stable oxide on the surface and tremendously
slow down the adverse effects of moisture, oxygen, salts, and acids. If you
really want a stable surface you could always have it hot-dip galvanized (The
zinc will corrode before the iron/steel) or plated. Any of these options will
affect surface appearence.
Remember these are techniques suitable for modern reproductions - you can
probably find a local company in the phone book that does this stuff,
replating or rechroming businesses for example or even a local gunsmith
shop).

If you want to have fun and are willing to spend some quality time you might
want to experiment with a period cleaning technique such as Anita alluded to.
This would involve a regular maintaince routine but it is something even
visitors might help with!  (The ultimate hands-on programe?)

Bryon, we don't seem to excavate much 17th century chain mail here in
Virginia. It seems like the English preferred their Buff-coats and plate
armor!

Best of Luck!
Dave

David Harvey