From:
LaserRay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 01:13:09 -0500
Chris Landry wrote:
> The point, I think, is that educational exhibits ought to be founded in
> educational theory.  Constructivist theory (for example) says that you
> cannot _give_ people knowledge through the types of didactic exhibits that
> were once common, but that people must _construct_ their own understanding
> through meaningful interaction with the environment.  This means that
> responsibility for learning is shared: the museum visitor must take
> responsibility for creating understanding by reflecting on their experience
> with an object or activity; the museum is responsible for creating
> opportunities for the visitor to engage in this meaningful (and, so,
> enjoyable) learning.
>
> To get stuck on the "entertainment" part seems silly.  Is great theater,
> literature, or music entertaining?  Of course -- but  it also feeds the
> mind and soul.  I think great exhibits do the same.

I agree with this line of thought. It seems to me that in talking
about this issue, some folks use "educational" as if it were
synonymous with "instructional." It may help to make the distinction,
and think more about how the root of the word "educate" has
to do with bringing up; that of "instruct" with building up.

Sure, museums instruct, and use a whole host of strategies (from
fun to fuddyduddy) to do so, but in a basic way they are (and
have always been) involved with eduction in that any institution in
the public sphere (museums, cinemas, malls, churches) has some kind
of "elevating" role as far as it defines our lives as citizens.

How conscious museums are of their role in elevating the public
is a matter that becomes political, pivoting on debatable questions about
where museums ("places of the Muses") are positioned in the panoply
of our public institutions, and about what it means for us to be citizens
(ie, is it enough for us to be a good consumer to be a good citizen?
an educated consumer?) How successful museums are in this process
would seem to have as much to do with cinemas, malls, and churches
as it does with museums.

Ray
***