From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:08:58 -0600
Hi Emily,

At the Salt Lake Art Center, we center artworks (and didactic text panels) at 54 inches usually.  A laser level is best, because measuring up from an uneven floor is, well, not a good idea.  (Note: If the artworks are small and you want to encourage a more intimate engagement -- to inspire a slight stoop, a closer look -- you could center at 52 inches.)

We have eliminated wall labels (with artist, title, date, etc.), capitalizing on our hardwood floors by using vinyl lettering, aligned to the right edge of the artwork (assuming it has a right edge) and out 12 inches from the wall/baseboard.  But if I was to use wall labels, I would mount between 36 and 42 inches.  (Much depends if the labels are to be flat on the wall or in angled plastic holders, if the paper versus print color is high contrast, if the lighting is uniform or focused, etc.  Know what I mean?)

Above all else, readability and consistency matter.

Best wishes, sincerely,

Jay Heuman
Curator of Exhibitions

Salt Lake Art Center