From:
Carol Riggles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:26:00 -0500
James,

I completely agree with you!  The format should reflect the project.  I
should have mentioned that I was specifically referring to pages with
similar content as Lynne's page, but, unlike Lynne's design, overdo the
visual "oomph" that "cheapens" the appearance of a scholarly project.

I also visited your site, and you may not agree, but I think your site is
conservative in its appearance when compared to other sites for contemporary
art, but I am not criticizing - I prefer the conservative approach.  The
white on grey text creates a simple, yet elegant, visual effect, and
contributes to the overall design that comes across as classic (the grey and
white of classic marble statuary and architecture) with the clean lines of
modernity.  As for the bookstore page - my opinion is that the fiery red
background does add visual interest, but makes the smallest text difficult
to read.  However, because you have chosen a heavy bold font for 99% of the
text - the site is still well designed.   (It also looked great with just
the black before the background.gif loaded.)  I think the best way to add
the visual extra without compromising clarity is to use the decorative edge
technique that was introduced years ago, and is still perfectly valid.

When I am bombarded by neon colors, hard to read text, and flashing images I
often don't bother to "enter" the site.  Your site quietly invites me in,
and allows me to explore without an unwanted assault of superfluous and
superficial gimmicks.

Thanks for addressing the copyright issue - I hope others will do the same.
I tend to agree with you - the extent to which images are available "for the
taking" has really grown.  But as my grandmother would say - just because
everyone does it, does it make it right?

Carol