Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:16:47 +0100
Hello,
I am currently an MSc student in Cardiff (UK) studying Communicating Science. I too am looking at the use of drama as an educational tool. I am more concerned with using street theatre or a busking style of drama to communicate science. If anyone has any experiences of taking
science (or any other subject for that matter) beyond the walls of the a museum (or similar institution) using drama as the medium I would be very interested to talk/ email etc,

In response to the question: The Natural History Museum and The Science Museum (both in London)  use drama on the galleries. An excellent book to read is by Catherine Hughes "Museum Theatre, Communicating with Visitors Through Drama" (1998) Heinemann.
Melanie Quin has a chapter in "Here and Now: contemporary Science and Technology in Museums and Science Centres" (eds Farmelo and Carding) called "Programming for success: people take centre stage"
Graham Farmelo has a chapter called "Drama on the Galleries in Museums" in "Museums and the Public Understanding of Science" ed by John Durant (1992)

Look at www.mos.org/IMTAL/    for Museum Of Science International Museum Theatre Alliance web page.

These are just a few of vast amounts of literature that is out there, I am just having problems "getting to it"

One of my colleagues on this course is also looking at drama in museums, I will send her this email and see if she wants to join the group list.

Hope these references are of some use, let me know of any good ones you find!

Helen Featherstone