From:
Christine Mouw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:52:52 -0400
Mary:

We've had this problem in the past, too.  I think that the wrinkling might be caused by temperature or humidity changes.  We use the rolls of the sticky 3M Positionable Mounting Adhesive (PMA) to adhere our labels and graphics to gator foam and we had the same problems in an exhibit about 4 years ago.  When we switched to the AC in the spring, the reproduction posters under the air vents wrinkled on the surface of the board (air was blowing directly on the wall in that particular spot).  But then again, the RH didn't change all that much.

Or it may have been that we didn't apply enough pressure when sticking the paper to the board.  We've eliminated some of that problem by buying a roller press made for mounting things with PMA.  Pressing by hand with a squeegee paddle is hard work and it's hard to get enough pressure.

Your warping is probably mostly with fome core, right?  It's notorious for warping.  I read somewhere if you score the back of the fome core very lightly in vertical stripes, it will prevent warping.  But to avoid all that hassle, we just use gator, which doesn't warp--but it is harder to cut by hand.

I hope this helps.  Feel free to contact me off list if you have any more specific questions.

Christine Mouw
Assistant Curator
Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum
West Branch, Iowa  52358

>>> "Mary Ames B. Sheret" <[log in to unmask]> 07/16/99 02:26PM >>>
What do people use to mount their paper graphics (laserjet or inkjet
output) onto foam core or other backing? We use spray mount usually and
we've been having some problems with warping. The graphic buckles. It may
be caused by sunlight or changes in humidity within the exhibit space.
We've also sandwiched paper between pieces of plexiglass and used a glue
type contact paper. I was wondering what other exhibit folks did.
Suggestions?

Mary Ames B. Sheret
Southern Oregon Historical Society

Museum-L" (without the quotes).