From:
Christina Myatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:39:48 -0600
Deanna,

We are a natural history and regional history museum.  We use "museum
theatre" (yes, that is the term--same as first person interpretation,
historical reenactment, etc) in our educational programs.  There are many
museums using this technique.  In fact their is an international
association--ther International Museum Theatre Alliance
(IMTAL--www.imtal.org) dedicated to this style of presentation.

Having said that, I use the method at various greade levels.  I believe it
provides them yet another tool to understanding history.  I also believe
that it adresses varied learning styles.  Many of your visitors will be
visual learners and thus will respond well to such visual presentations.

We do not solely use theatrical presentations.  Some of our programs are
hands-on/ object based without the use of costumes.  Many times, it depends
what the subject matter is.  For example, when discussing ancient Egypt (we
have a mummy in one of our galleries that was unwrapped on site in 1966), we
have a presentation done by the "Ba" (or spirit) of the mummy downstairs.
Because she was a chantress and dancer, a theatrical style lends itself to a
better understanding of her life and culture.  Is it necessary?  No.  But,
it does offer an experience that is different than our other offerings.

You bring up training.  I believe that is key.  Just putting a presenter in
costume is nice, however why?  How do they use it?  Do they use iot to
explain the dress of the period.  Does it help to transport the audience to
another place?  Why are the costumes being used?  If they are incorportated
into the presentation to enhance the learning, they have merit.

Training.  Good use of costumed interpretation incorportaes good training.
If you are doing a first person interpretation, the person should be trained
in presentation skills and be able to answer questions which may arrive
after the "scripted" presentation.  If you are doing "theatre", you will
need to have people who possess these skills (or who you feel you can train)
and know that the dress is indeed "just a costume".  In essence, they are
not trained any differently than any non-costumed presenter.  The question
is how is the costume used.

I would never "make" anyone wear a costume.  if the individual is
uncomfortable, that will come off to the audience.  If they are comfortable,
you can use their costumes (especially historical) as a teaching
tool--provided the costumes are historically accurate.  Why did they wear
this dress?  Why is it constructed in this way?  What elements are
multifunctional?  What drawbacks are there?  The "costume" can actually
become the "object" you are interpreting.

The possibilities are endless.  In the end, there is not a right or wrong
answer.  Itn will all depend what works best for your institution and your
staff.  You might also survey those who have been attending your programs.
Do they like the costumned aspect?  Why?  What does it add to their
experience?

And do some research.  Check with the National Interpreters Association, the
Living History Association and IMTAL  (there are others).  All will have
great resources for research, tips for training staff, and pointers on using
costumed interpretation to your advantage.

If you have other questions, please feel free to contact me off-list.  This
is my entire job--full-time!  My background is theatre and education.  I
have found it to be a highly effective tool in my museum where we offer
theatrical options for school programs and for our public audiences.  It
also has been highly siuccessful as an additional outreach opportunity.

Christina
Christina M. Myatt
Theatrical Programming Coordinator
Putnam Museum