From:
Allison Ruppert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:03:09 -0400
Actually, I currently work for an organization with about 3,500 members.
Prior to this, I worked for an organization with about 28,000 members.
John's query as to whether the (below) points apply to larger museums is
interesting. Although my approach and philosophy has basically remained the
same,the way members think does appear to be different between the two
organizations. Currently, I experience members who never visit, rarely read
the newsletter, etc. They continue to join because of their personal
interest in the health of the organization rather than their benefits. At my
former museum, I felt like benefits were equivillant to how many clowns can
you shove in a car at the circus. Visitors continued to ask, "what else,
what more". Although this mentality was driven out of personal interest,
they were extremely involved - sending their children to camp, taking adult
classes, dropping money like crazy in the shop, etc.
    I am going to be unconventional here, but instead of viewing your
members as a check, think of them as good employees, ones who have joined an
organization because they believe in their mission and are educated,
entertained and interested rather than just earning a paycheck. As an
employee would "grow" and produce more and better quality work, so too will
a member, either donating more money, upgrading their level of membership or
become more involved (i.e. attend the facility more often, purchase from the
shop, frequent programs, lectures, etc.). Sometimes, having members is also
beneficial to grants. Some funders are just as interested in how many
members an organization has (and their retention rate) as they would be in
demographics, such as how many seniors or school groups visit.

~Allison Ruppert