From:
Patricia Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 18:19:57 GMT
In article <v01530501ae44a4d2166e@[129.59.15.124]>
           [log in to unmask] "Kirsten Ellenbogen" writes:

> Touch exhibits and historical studies?
>
> So, I'm working with people at my school and the New-York Historical
> Society to establish a touch exhibit with which the museum staff and
> visiting teachers could enrich a study of colonial New Amsterdam / New
> York.  I'm curious if anyone has experience with such exhibits or any good
> ideas.  Examples: teaching about trade might be enriched if kids had a
> beaver pelt to touch.
>
> Any other thoughts?
>
> Please contact me at the following:
>
> Jonathan Spear
> New York City Museum School
I tried to email you, but aol said you didn't exist ...
I have worked on an architectural museum with a similar Dutch
influence and time frame ... touch exhibits included the two main
types of wood used (oak and pine) in all stages from tree to panel,
showing how the different tools had different effects.  If you
email me, I'll try and send the exhibition plan to you.

--
Patricia Reynolds
Keeper of Social History, Buckinghamshire County Museum,