From:
"Arcand, Jessica" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:26:49 -0500
Looking for % usage by general museum visitors of interpretive/interactive
material in Art Museums...

I am particularly interested in % visitor usage of interpretive material
(interactives, reading rooms, interpretive installations, other) or of
spaces designated as educational in art museums/galleries.

Some of our %s vary from 45% for an interpretive program/installation as
part of an exhibition to 17% for a recent audioguide. Both were included
with museum admission and I'm curious to measure our average usage against
others. Of course I realize many things effect usage everything from content
to signage and indeed some artworks are interactive in nature. It is also
not that easy to measure given limited resources and figures may not be that
reliable e.g. one method of gathering info for us is relying on gallery
attendants counting usage as they are observing galleries. I also realize
that % usage does not necessarly equate with learning/satisfaction etc.
However it is one way of measuring success.

I was hoping that there may be a range of statistics out there that might
help us determine how we are doing.The following is what I'm looking for:

% usage by general museum visitors of interpretive material in galleries ( I
break this down into two categories)
                1. interactives/reading rooms/specific interpretive
installations within and/or directly adjacent to an exhibition
                2. interpretive material e.g. audioguides, handsheets,
labels

% usage by general museum visitors of any kind of Open Studio program,
education-specific galleries or designated spaces that is included with the
cost of general admission.

I would greatly appreciate any information you would be willing to share
with me from simple statistics to any more involved evaluation.
My contact info is below.

Many thanks.

Jessica Arcand
Curator of Education