From:
CTyler007 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 01:03:21 GMT
I have seen the NOUVIR fiber units in person and the system has its
advantages including interchangable lamp drawers, readily availible
replacement lamps and a very small illuminator. But here are a few things
to consider before investing several thousand dollars on a fiber system.

With the NOUVIR system you are locked into using the small diameter
Mitsubishi (PMMA) plastic fiber. There is no way that you can use other
brands or diameter of fiber (either plastic or glass). I personal have
found that the Mitsubishi fiber is somewhat brittle and you want to be
very careful installing it in close quater caases. If your installation is
a one time deal (seal it and leave it) then the system works well.

If, however, you think that at some future date you may want expand the
system to include larger core or glass harnesses I would look at other
systems.  Here at the Cleveland Museum of Art, we are currently using
illuminators made by Remote Source Lighting International equipped with a
200 watt quartz halogen lamp. (216) 338-4674 - And we are using Lumenyte
plastic fiber (7mm) and Shott glass luminaires. With the RSLI units you
can use glass and plastic as well as changing the number and types of
fiber ports which comes in very handy with rotating exhibitions.

LSI also makes a decent fiber system.

Please contact me if you want additional information.  ([log in to unmask])

Christopher Tyler
Lighting Designer
Cleveland Museum of Art