From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:25:18 -0800
I would suggest that you do not use Goo-Gone, acetone, or any other
solvent on painted woodwork or woodwork that has a stain or finish. If
you do you are taking the chance that you will seriously affect any
decorative or finish layers on the furniture, architecture, or object.

(BTW, Goo-Gone is a solvent blend of a number of powerful solvents
that are all health hazzards and flamable. So it should not be used
without due consideration and preparation).

Chilling the gum and using a teflon spatula may work, but only try
this on painted wood that is in intact and excellent condition. If the
area around the gum displays and crackalure, flaking, lifting, or
cupping, STOP. Call a conservator.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey