From:
"Downs, Trish" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 11:46:17 +1000
I'm researching web sites for the Museum of Victoria in Melbourne,
Australia and it would be extremely helpful to us if you could complete
our questionnaire.  We are happy to provide a summary of the results.
This summary will give general results and will not discuss specific
details from any institution.

sincerely

Patricia Downs
Museum of Victoria
Swanston Street
Melbourne  3000
Australia
QUESTIONNAIRE

The Museum of Victoria is developing a web site for its new Virtual
Museum. We are carrying out a survey regarding the implementation and
maintenance of web sites at museums in the United States, Canada,
Australia, the United Kingdom and Europe and it would greatly assist us
if you would participate in this survey. We are very happy to share the
information gathered.

ESTABLISHMENT
1.      For how long have you had a web site?

2. Was the decision to establish a web site a strategic decision by
management or by interested individuals within your institution?

3.      Are you able to give an indication of the budget allocated to
the project?

4.      Was the setup of your web site performed in-house or contracted
out?

5.   If your web site was set up in-house, which section of your museum
carried out this work - IT, curatorial, other?

6.   In which section of your institution does your web site sit now -
IT, programs, curatorial, etc?

STAFF
7.      How many staff were involved in the initial phase of setting up
your web site?

8.      How many staff are now involved in maintaining your web site
(paid/unpaid?) and what are their duties - ie editorial, technology,
graphics, etc?

9.  What is the level of training of staff who work on your web site (ie
formal training or self-taught)?

MAINTENANCE
10.     How often is the information content of your web site updated
and who is responsible for this?

11. How often is the rest of your web site upgraded?

12. How often is the technology used at your site upgraded?

USAGE
13.     Is there a target audience for your web site?

14.  Do you collect information regarding who uses your site? If so, how
do you monitor this usage?

15.  How do you evaluate your site's success?

16.  Is there any information on whether your web site has attracted
people to visit your actual museum?

PHILOSOPHY
17.  Is your web involvement seen as an integral part of your museum and
its programs?

18.  Does your museum want to reach out and grow a virtual audience that
will never physically visit your museum?

19.  Has it been a worthwhile project? What benefits have there been?
Would you do it again?

20.  Are there any other comments you would like to make?

21.     We will be making a summary of this survey. Would you like to
receive a copy?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME