From:
Betty Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:11:15 -0600
Elizabeth, I *LOVE* your description of a cookie table. I have never
seen one nor have I seen "wedding soup." I like both traditions.

Although weddings here usually have a large wedding cake (white), a
groom's cake (chocolate with theme according to groom's hobby or
preference), a table of finger foods (perhaps small sandwiches, veggies
and dips, etc.), some do have more elaborate buffets. My niece's wedding
had prime rib with a hatted chef to carve. Of course the champagne, as
well as non-alcoholic punch, was plentiful.

One custom that no longer is observed is the "group" wedding cake. In
early days when supplies were "dear", each guest or couple would bring a
layer of cake. When they arrived at the place of the wedding (buggy
days), the layers were stacked and frosted. The result was a tall cake
or cakes of varying flavors of layers.

When we were working on our county history book, several wedding
pictures came in with couples sitting in a buggy. One family story said
that during those days, late 1800s/early 1900s, the stylish way to be
married was for the bride and groom to sit in the buggy while the
minister or official stood at the side and performed the ceremony right
there! I suppose from there they drove to the place for the reception or
maybe did not have one?

Betty
Historian, Terry County Historical Commission