From:
Richard Urban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:56:19 -0700
Ruth,

Take a look at http://www.TechSoup.org they have lots of resources for
non-profit e-mail marketing techniques.  This month's featured topic is
actually:

"Upgrade Your Organization's Image with Slick HTML Newsletters

If you want your organization's message to get noticed, not trashed, an HTML
newsletter can help you upgrade your image. We'll show you some ways to help
you efficiently and effectively create professional-looking newsletters."

One thing I would definitely consider is NOT e-mailing a PDF file, but
rather posting the PDF to my website and e-mailing members URLs for where
the PDF is posted.  If your PDF is even a little larger than the regular
e-mail having it clog up a member's inbox could loose more friends than it
wins.  By e-mailing a URL I now have the choice of when to download the PDF
(the DigiCult newsletter is distributed this way, they also give me a choice
of a High Quality/High Bandwidth version and a Low Quality/Low Bandwidth
version for dial-up members.)

Richard Urban
Operations Coordinator
Collaborative Digitization Program