From:
Carrie Ronnander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 15:59:32 -0500
Hi all,

I'm looking for examples of collection policies and/or donation or
release forms that speak specifically to a museum's right to use digital
reproductions of private collections. At my museum, we have all of the
regular legal forms in place - incoming and outgoing loans, certificate
of gifts, sound recordings release forms, etc - but nothing really
speaks to the non-exclusive right to use, reproduce, and publish digital
images we've made from original prints and negatives that get returned
to their owners.

We recently improved our digitization capabilities so we can actually
start making digital reproductions of original prints and negatives and
add them to our permanent photo collection, if that is the desire of the
individuals who retain ownership of these items. It makes sense to sort
out the level of rights the museum has now rather than ten years from
now when we want to use a particular digital image. We can't use a
certificate of gift form, because we're not collecting the original
photo, but it seems like we need to use a permission or release form
that clearly states the rights of the museum, and ideally, these rights
would be as broad as possible. I'm looking for any published material
that speaks to electronic collections, and any examples of collection
policies and forms that institutions have developed regarding the
digital use of private collections.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help you can provide. I've
wished so many times that there was a cost-effective way to retain a
copy of a borrowed photo for our permanent collection. Now there is such
a way, but I don't want to inadvertently cause the museum legal problems
in my enthusiastic attempts to broaden the photo collection.

Carrie Ronnander
Curator

Chippewa Valley Museum
P.O. 1204