From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:31:37 -0500
A follow-up note on low-end RH with the Hobo loggers.  While the specs on
the web site list a low end of 25%, the loggers actually record lower than
that.  The Hobo H8 loggers (old style) record down to the single digits,
theoretically to 0, but I have not personally seen such a reading.  I have
seen them record down to 5% or 6%.  The Hobo U10 (new style) stops recording
at 15%.  Below that, it simply flatlines at 15%.  The new U-series has
definite advantages over the H8, not the least of which is that Onset no
longer supports or develops the H8, while the software for the U-series will
be updated/improved periodically.  But if you really need to know the exact
RH below 15%, the H8 is the only option.  In my opinion, for most museum
applications (especially historic sites), the Hobos are the best
alternative, and more expensive loggers are wasting your precious money.

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Low-Tech Environmental Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)