From:
Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 22:11:59 -0700
My present feeling on this is that you should find the best system to do the job in the environment (OS, network, etc.) you currently/plan to exist in, factoring for budget limitations...and then make sure it is easy to get everything out of the damn thing!  You almost definitely
will want to someday, when one or more of those first criteria change.

If you can dump everything out into XML, for example, that seems like a good thing.  Imagine dumping all of your records into CSV format, or Tab-delimited...and then trying to import it into a new system...play with it using whatever database you have at hand and Excel, going back
and forth a few times if you don't know what I mean.  Better than nothing, though.  How about ASCII?  That would be fun...

I think there are probably countless ways one can make this more difficult than it needs to be in designing a custom system...?

Nothing will last forever, folks - there will always be newer and better, and eventually you will change to the new OS, or whatever, and that will be that.

Buy the CHIN review, ask around, see what works - and then make sure there's an Emergency Escape hatch somewhere.

Tim