From:
Micki Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:18:25 -0700
Dear Mark and Susan:

Wow. I suggest you not even THINK about applying a commercial solvent meant
to separate the molecules of whatever that price tag glue is to any archival
materials. I think it is what drips off the creature in Alien.  I have
actually used this Un-Do product, but was about 100 miles away from my
archives at the time.  My ancient Volvo (400K miles) drips oil around,
through, over and under her seals. Like a dummy I parked her in a friend's
garage while acting as interim innkeeper for their B&B. Uh oh, that nasty
brownish black spreading oil on the pristine garage floor (really!) was a
sign of an upcoming non-repairable rift in our friendship. I found a bottle
of Un-Do in the extremely well organized tool chest in their garage, dripped
a few drops (four at most) on this artistic and large stain, and went in to
answer the phone.  When I returned, both the oil and the Un-Do had vanished.
Completely. Gone. Into the atmosphere, into your lungs and mine, into the
genetic structure of all living things.  That stuff is made in Texas, and
you know what they produced.

Start looking for advice from a conservator. Keep that solvent away from
your papers and your person. Ship it all back to Texas!  No offense intended
toward fellow curators in Texas (just to your state's politics!).  I now
carry a large absorbent cardboard as Depends for my Volvo, who will outlast
me no doubt. Of course, as a Curator, I can't afford to replace my car!

Micki Ryan
Curator, Highline Historical Society
Burien WA