From:
Jane Glaser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 1995 10:47:01 EST
Rebecca...Your friend may be interested in reading GENDER PERSPECTIVES:
ESSAYS ON WOMEN IN MUSEUMS, edited by Jane Glaser and Artemis Zenetou,
Smithsonian Press, Blue Ridge Summit, PA 17294-0900. Adapted from a
national seminar in 1990, "Gender Perspectives: The Impact of Women
On Museums." There are not a lot of statistics in it because statistics
were not available, and still are not. There is a bibliography in the
book, however....most extensive. In all the surveys that have been done
in recent years, there have been no questions about women in museums...
not for about 25 years! Your friend would provide a service by conducting
a national statistical survey on women in museums. The book provides
excellent information on history, scholarship, collections, exhibitions,
etc....all related to the impact of women on museums....there are about
32 essays. AAM also sells the book.  I wish her luck, and she can contact
me or Artemis if she wishes more information. We are both at Room 1410,
Arts and Industries Bldg., Smithsonian Institution, Wash. DC 20560...
Phone for Artemis, 202 357-1331, and E-mail for me is, [log in to unmask]

Jane Glaser