From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 13:02:19 EST
   This may be beating a dead thread, but I have a real problem with the
   assumption that people in general  will not be entertained,
   illuminated, moved, or enlightened by the best thinking and research
   on a given topic.  Of course, there will always be some people who
   will object to the complexities raised in an exhibit such as the Enola
   Gay exhibit, and many more who will be bored.  But I do think that
   in-depth, accurate, well-considered information is necessary for
   museum exhibitions.

   And, I would assume, the real challenge of museum
   exhibition design is to present ideas in all of their complexity in a
   way that is engaging for visitors of all types.  Academy-style
   learning will not work for the most part in museums, not because
   visitors are ignorant, but because they are learning on their feet,
   absorbing information in a busy, distracting, and social environment,
   rather than in the classroom or the library.  Though it seems to be a
   given that visitors need two or three encapsulated take home messages,
   that does not mean that information can't be layered, with more
   in-depth content for those who have the time, stamina, inclination,
   and interest.

   To take it off of the controversial path, the Hall of Vertebrates and
   their Extinct Ancestors (I think is the formal title of the "Dinosaur
   Halls" currently being re-installed at the American Museum of Natural
   History) is designed and built, as well as interpreted, around the
   very modern understanding of cladistics.  There may be some question
   as to how well the largest groups of people follow this exhibition
   story line, but I admire the museum for resisting the impulse to put
   together a few dynamation-type dioramas, and for getting to the
   scientific heart of the matter.

   As for take home messages, I got two: 1) cladistics is the work of
   scientists studying evolutionary relationships; 2) there is something
   *really* important about whether a mammal had a hole in their jaw for
   one of their nerves to pass through, and by extension, small
   anatomical differences can be very diagnostic for determining
   evolutionary relationships.  Number 2 is probably not one of the
   messages that the evaluators and designers intended, but it just goes
   to show: that information was available, and somehow my mind,
   distracted by my kids during the visit, grasped on to it.  There is no
   predicting how the distracted and uneducated mind will work...

   Now, there are certainly those who would think that evolutionary
   theories are controversial, and would prefer the word of the bible on
   these matters.  But the museum made a serious choice to cast their
   vote with the scientific method, and to expose visitors to the process
   and products of this method.

   Moving back to the more controversial sphere of historical
   interpretation, again, I think that a museum like the Holocaust Museum
   has used serious scholarship to provoke the imaginations, intellects,
   and emotions of visitors.  I think that the Enola Gay exhibition would
   have done the same, had they not been short-circuited by the adamant
   voices of people representing a specific point of view.

   Whether or not museums have their roots in show-biz, I think that the
   most dangerous assumptions are those of the intellectual elite
   assuming that people in general need simplified, inaccurate, or
   propagandistic presentations to be engaged.  This assumption reminds
   me of the excesses of various social movements which pretended to
   speak on the behalf of "the people" in matters such as urban planning,
   politics, and social organization.  The misperceptions of the elites
   in some obvious cases, led to the assumption that the aspirations of
   the masses were dramatically different than their own aspirations.
   This assumption, in turn, led to the dismal failures of all kinds of
   social engineering, from housing projects to Soviet communism.

   There, have I generalized enough for one post?

   Eric Siegel