Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 11:00:08 -0500
Lisa,
Please take a look at the RC's RARIN website (Rights and Reproduction
Information Network).  There you will find sample charges and a wealth of
information on rights and repro for museums.  I doubt you have the rights
to the Edgerton images (his heirs probably do unless they were signed over
to a third party.

This is ringing some bells with me - I seem to recall a large Edgerton
project happening at MIT - Can anyone chime in here?

Anyway, it is incumbent upon the party who wants to use them to obtain
rights to reproduce.  But do check the website - it has been found to be
very useful!

http://www.panix.com/~squigle/rarin/01rcsite.html

Suzanne Quigley
Head Registrar
Whitney Museum of American Art
Chair, RARIN (an RC-AAM taskforce)

>Dear List,
>The UB Art Gallery counts 4 of the most well-known Edgerton bullet-shot
>photo prints among its collection.. but not the negatives. We've been asked
>for rights to reproduce, and no one here knows about the legalities of the
>issue, particularly re: print/negative origins.
>Much less the $$ one might charge?
>Can any of you help?
>Thanks in advance.
>--LF

>Lisa Fischman
>Associate Curator/Education
>UB Art Gallery, SUNY Buffalo
>201A Center for the Arts
>North Campus - Box 606000
>Buffalo, NY 14260-6000
>phone:716.645.6912 / fax:716.645.6753 / e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Museum-L" (without the quotes).