Date:
Thu, 21 May 1998 08:38:48 -0500
     Ms. Endzweig,
        The archives where I work is located within the framework of the
     International Fire Service Training Association, an organization which
     writes manuals and other training materials for the fire service and
     other public safety organizations.  Among the many codes and
     regulations that we house in our library is a set from the National
     Fire Protection Association called the National Fire Code.  These
     codes are used by states throughout the U.S. as a standard to build
     their own laws and regulations on; in addition the Federal Emergency
     Management Association (FEMA) uses these codes as their guidelines.
     Anyway, within the NFPA codes their are at least two codes pertaining
     to museums and archives.  These are NFPA 911 Recommended Practice for
     the Protection of Museums and Museum Collections and NFPA 232AM Manual
     for Fire Protection for Archives and Records Centers.  These codes
     were written in consultation with people from the Smithsonian
     Institution, Colonial Williamsburg, the National Archives and Records
     Administration, etc.  They should be helpful.
        In addition to these codes, here at Oklahoma State University we
     have a Fire Protection and Safety Technology program.  One of the
     professors in this program, Mr. Pat Brock, has given a lecture to the
     Oklahoma Conservation Congress on installing sprinkler systems in
     historic houses and museums. Mr. Brock consults museums on installing
     sprinkler systems.  You can contact him for more information at:
                        or
                        (405) 744-5721
     I hope this can help you.
        Joseph M. Reed