From:
MOH Library <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 12:16:53 -0500
Hi Cyberfolk!
I am an Objects Conservator who caught up in exhibit deadlines and with
budget restraints cannot at the moment afford access to the Getty
Conservation information network to access the many great treatments for a
user fee. I used this in my Conservation internship at the Royal British
Columbia Museum. In a very short time I could scan the index to specific
treatments for various materials and extrapolate the information in making
my final treatment decision on the object entrusted to my care.
I had hoped that COOL would provide the same degree of detail. So far I have
been unable to find a detailed index on it and also would like to chat back
and forth with conservators for ideas and share what I have found to
work.Has anyone found the key to use? It seems that what has been addressed
on Condistlist is filed by year.
COOL is available to anyone who can type the address but you must register
on-line with Walter Henry to use it .
Once registered you automatically within a few days receive the CONDISTLIST
"newsletter" on line .
I subscribed to Museum List two years ago and have thoroughly enjoyed
staying in tune with Museum issues and what is happening around the globe
and feel connected to a great group, who increasingly help each other,
sincerely when time from our careers and exhibit demands are first met.
When I have time such as now, my lab is upside down while they redo all the
data wiring in the museum ,I can stop to comment and perhaps assist someone.

Caution should be excercised when a specific treatment appears on this list .
As conservators we are trained to consult with our peers as Conservation
Scientists at the Smithsonian, the Canadian Conservation unit and the most
helpful staff at the AIC in Washington D.C. for a list of conservators by
specialty in your region .
Then a conservator will create a "mock-up" that is, make a model, try out
the proposed treatment and observe ,record then decide to proceed on
artifacts entrusted from the collections in our care.
Pardon me for the long disertation but I felt compelled to list the process
we go through for those museum staff who aren't conservators to learn how we
think so as to better understand and lift the mist of apparent mystery
associated with our discipline.
Conservation is very exciting work. It is detective work, and a continual
learning process not only about the materials we work on but a continual
process of self enlightenment. Nuff said.
Please continue to share! Particularly from the Land of Oz. I see more and
more appearing on the list.Welcome.
I believe in sharing my conservation knowledge and two years ago commenced a
volunteer program which grew to 12 volunteers from age 15 to 70 ,the Home
Study student exploring a possible career to the retired pharmacist wishing
to make a contribution in the community. In 1.5 years we treated 3,000
pharmaceutical objects and have had a lot of fun sharing stories around the
workbench and at lunch.
To reward each Conservation volunteer I take them through the collection to
chose an artifact they would like to work on other than what we need for
immediate exhibit.Each year we have a recognition and awards night and I am
very proud of them all.
I have learned much from the discussion on Volunteers from this list and am
always looking for novel ways to say thank you. Harry Needham gets top honours!
I believe the visitor neds to be aware of what it takes to present the
artifact in the exhibit case, it didn't get there on it's own. Slowly I am
convincing the curators that a conservation element should appear in each
exhibit.Before and after photos excite the visitor. Just visit a gallery and
listen to the visitor.
The Maritime Museum in Norfolk Va. has a splendid video tape showing Behind
the Scenes and just what it takes to provide the artifact to the gallery case.

PLEASE VISIT OUR HOMEPAGE  http://netserver.dcr.state.nc.us/museum/ncmh.htm

Regards
Len Hambleton-Objects Conservator
The North Carolina Museum of History
Raleigh N.C.

The opinions and ideas expressed are solely my own and not necessarily those
of my museum. They are provided here in the spirit to encourage the gift of
sharing knowledge.