From:
Geri McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 11:55:52 -0800
Kristy,
After reading your letter, I have to say I felt a lot better. Some people
have it worse! I do have to admit that your situation is so outrageous that
I had to laugh.  No offence but in the state I was in the laugh was
therapeutic. It is sad to see enthusiastic people tromped and not
appreciated. People who have a heart and passion for their work should be
in positions that allow them to create, flourish and make a difference
their
field. I sincerely hope you find a place that will appreciate you, and
allow you
to function at your fullest.

As for my friend, the administration has met with her and is listening, and
caring.  The offensive micro managing supervisors have backed way off. We
have researched how other city museums are governed by their
administration. The consensus is that museums that have a supportive
advisory boards,  function much better than the ones who stand alone and
fend for themselves.  These boards are appointed by the mayor and act as a
museum advocate to the city council or assembly. They defend the budget and
museum programs, and assist in governing the museum.
The mayor and director are considering this new arrangement as it will
relieve them of the full responsibility of managing the museum.  The
present historical society board is interested in becoming this advisory
board. They have minimal say in what goes on now and are wanting to be more
involved. This increased responsibility, and  a voice as to what happens
with the museum is something they have desired for quite a while. They
presently own the collection and previously owned the buildings and
operated the museum as a whole.  It is the desire of the city to return the
museum back to the historical society. Becoming the advisory board would be
 a step in that direction.  It seems to be a win-win situation for all. We
have interested people who want to be part of that board, including my
friend. She plans to resign due to family reasons now, yet wants to remain
involved in the museum and help the historical society.  Not all is lost,
just a different venue.  I hope you can find a solution to yours.

Thank you so much for your response, it really helped a lot to have some
one who could relate to us.  Some times we can feel so alone in our
situation, just knowing that we are not alone and others face the same
trials some times is comforting.

Concerned curator