From:
Emma Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 20:06:13 +0100
Dear James,
 I have read your message with interest. I have been
doing an essay on controversial exhibitions,
Sensations being one of them. I would be curious to
know what exactly you found offensive about the
exhibition and why. Over here in the UK the piece that
offended the most was the portrait of Myra Hindley,
which was made using the hand prints of children.
(Hindley and her partner Ian Brady were notorious
child murderers in the 60s). I know that the Chris
Ofili painting of the Holy Virgin Mary caused great
offence in NY (although I must say that I was
surprised that the offense had been caused by the
elephant dung and not by the graphic images of female
genitalia that had obviously been cut from
pornographic pictures).
 This may be stating the obvious, but controversy is
something that is personal. What one person finds
insulting, another finds liberating. In relation to
the 9/11 statue (which I have not yet seen) perhaps,
as has already been mentioned, it is the timing of the
unveiling of the statue and not the statue itself that
is insulting to people. There are many statues that
have been erected in the past of soldiers falling in
battle, of fishermen drowning at sea which have been
erected to commemorate their memory, lest we the
public should forget them.
 A tragedy is a tragedy. I don't mean to sound glib or
trivialise 9/11, but the human psyche has the amazing
ability to dull the effect tragic events, not for
those to whom the event directly effects, their pain
may never dull. But for the rest of us, it is easy for
us to push the memory of the tv images to the back of
our minds. Coming from Northern Ireland, I know how
easy the public forget the effect of the last bomb
placed in a car/pub/police station. I would like to
think the the artist of the 9/11 statue was trying to
remind us that none of us should forget, whether we
lost friends/family or co-workers or were there
ourselves or were watching the events unfold on
television.
I apologise profusely for any offense I may cause to
anyone. It is not my intent.

Emma B

Loretta i have to beg to differ with you on

=====
Emma Brown,
14 Agherton Drive,
Portstewart,