From:
George Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 18:44:32 -0700
--- Richard Fields <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Fellow Listers,
> I have an issue with our archives I am hoping you
> might help with. We are the official archives for the
> Cherokee Nation. Our facility is small and dated, and
> with the expansion of tribal services, the Cherokee
> Nation has built and implemented a fully intergrated
> records management program, complete with warehouse.
> What I need assistance on is explaining the difference
> between records management and archiving. We do
> collect personal papers, recordings, and other
> materials outside of tribal records, and our
> collections area covers the rest of material culture.
> Can you folks help frame some compelling arguments why
> we need to remain the official archives despite the CN
> records management program? I am going to use the
> material in a written response to attempt to educate
> the folks at the CN as to our value and importance to
> them. One last note. We are an independant 501c3, not
> part of the tribal government, although they do donate
> about 1/3 to 1/2 of our operating budget. Thanks

Richard,

I sense some tension and friction in your words along with a dose of
frustration. I'm sure these are felt on the other side as well with
equal passion.

Archiving and Records Management are nay impossible to separate, since
when you do one, you probably perform tasks that belong to the other.
Anyways, they are just names. What might be helpful is for both
organizations to take a close look at their respective Mission
Statements. I bet that you will find many of the same goals listed in
very similar terms.

Since the goals of both organizations appear to be the numerous facets
of collecting, categorizing and safe-keeping of Cultural Property
belonging to and/or relating to the Cherokee Nation, the issue should
be one of division of tasks in order to avoid the duplication of
functions.

Turf wars and power struggles can be very demoralizing especially when
everybody concerned has the best of intentions. I always find it
helpful to keep my eyes on the ball; that is do what is best for the
Collection.

Artifacts are mute. They cannot speak for themselves or defend
themselves. They rely on us, human beings, to advocate for them, to
house them, document them, interpret and preserve them for the
education of future generations. Personalities and egos shouldn't come
into the picture. Most of these artifacts have existed before any of us
were conceived and hopefully, under our trusteeship, they will survive
us to educate our children and grand children. It's not about us, or
them, it's about the stuff, the Collection.

Good Luck! I'm sure you'll work it out.

George

George Schwartz
ConservArt - Master Frame Makers and Art Conservators
http://www.ConservArt.com
8177 Glades Road #16 - Boca Raton, FL 33434 U.S.A.
Tel:(561)482-7292 - Fax:(561)482-6787
mailto:[log in to unmask]

*** Tired of Spam? Checkout Email Defense!

http://www.lanechange.net/html/email_defense.shtml