From:
Richard Rabinowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 13:07:43 -0800
This comment reminds me that the recent "Rembrandt/Not Rembrandt" show at
the Met, focusing on the complexities of discriminating among works by
Rembrandt himself, those done in his studio, those by his students, and
those purchased by Met patrons many years ago which have no links to
Rembrandt at all, suffered by not having a video to document the
investigative process.  Instead, the long labels were in constant battle
with the alluring paintings.  Further, the personae who worked so
assiduously over the past 25 years to establish these controversial
boundaries among the works in the Met's collection might have been
humanized and made me relevant through interviews, etc.

It's valuable to show that the museum is a product of biographical and
cultural creativities, economic pressures, etc.

Richard Rabinowitz              <> American History Workshop
[log in to unmask]                  <> 588 Seventh Street
718/499-6500 fax: 718/499-6575  <> Brooklyn, New York 11215-3707