From:
Rebecca Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:07:37 -0400
Here’s some more information about this ID Badge. The ship on the front of
the badge is a Liberty Ship. Liberty Ships were a class of cargo ships used
in WWII known for their utilitarian design and fast manufacture. There are
only two Liberty Ships extant, the S.S. Jeremiah O’Brien
(http://www.ssjeremiahobrien.com/) berthed in San Francisco, and the S.S.
John W. Brown (http://www.liberty-ship.com/) berthed in Baltimore.

Links to the shipyards that built Liberty Ships can be found at
http://www.liberty-ship.com/. In the Contents area, click on “Yards”. This
may help your patron track down which shipyard issued the badge.

Several folks have suggested that the badge was an award for those
contributing to the building of a specific ship. That might be true if the
ship were a huge liner, an aircraft carrier or something that was a “large”
project – in terms of shipbuilding. But, the Liberty Ships were produced as
fast as possible – somewhere between a week and a month per ship. Here is a
short synopsis  from the S.S. John Brown’s website that explains the ships:

“In the early days of the program it was evident that the sheer quantity of
ships was essential and the solution was "ship built by mile and chopped off
by the yard." New shipyards were created by a syndicate formed by Todd
Shipyards Inc., and the Henry J. Kaiser group.
Once the production lines got under way, the time it took to build a Liberty
dropped to as little as 28 days. On the average, it took 592,000 man-hours
to build a Liberty ship. The construction of one Liberty ship required 3,425
tons of hull steel, 2,725 tons of plate, and 700 tons of shapes, which
included 50,000 castings.

The Kaiser shipyard in Oakland, California, built the S.S. ROBERT E. PEARY,
from keel laying to launching, in 4 days 15 hours and 30 minutes. The PEARY
was then outfitted, painted, taken on sea trials, the crew was trained and
the vessel fully loaded with 10,000 tons of cargo. The PEARY sailed seven
days after the keel was laid.
It was felt that if the ship could make more than one round trip it would be
cost effective. Luckily, the Battle of the Atlantic swung to the Allied side
and only 196 Libertys were lost in combat. Approximately half the surviving
fleet was sold at the war's end, and some of those were still in service in
the early 1970s some 25 years later.”

I've found our WWII home front war effort both interesting and inspiring. I
hope your patron is able to learn more about her father's wartime service.

Becky Fitzgerald
Executive Director
Susquehanna Museum