From:
Cindy Boyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:59:14 -0400
Hi Lori

I suggest you reflect on why is your frontline staff reluctant?  Do they believe your memberships are worth having?  Maybe they don't see how a membership is valuable to the visitor - and only see it as asking for more money?

I took a really quick look at your website, and saw that the link for membership is identified as "support." Perhaps the emphasis is so strongly on what membership can do for the organization, and not what membership does for the member. For example, that link might be labeled "Member Benefits" instead.

Or - maybe the frontline staff doesn't want to hold up arriving visitors with filling out membership information. They came for a tour, not to fill out a form.

Consider offering an "admission rebate."  At the end of the visit, anyone who joins gets their admission refunded (or, alternatively, applied to the membership.)

Might be a good motivator for your frontline - "If you join today, you'll get your $5 admission back - and a discount in the gift shop!  Just stop and see me at the end of the tour."

Cindy Boyer
Director of Museums and Education
The Landmark Society of Western New York
133 S. Fitzhugh St.
Rochester NY  14608
(585) 546-7029 ext. 12

The Landmark Society:  Revitalizing Yesterday, Protecting Today, and Planning for Tomorrow

www.landmarksociety.org
Confessions of a Preservationist: The Landmark Society blog
Facebook / MySpace