From:
"Scott D. Peters" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 23:25:14 -0500
We are still wrangling over our photo reproduction policies: I want to see
more items scanned and less photocopied and I want to charge a nominal $1 or
so for the scan. We make a little more and we get a scan for future use. The
patron also gets a better quality image. We do reproduce photographs for a
fee: generally $20 for an 8"x10" reproduction. For other items like maps and
such, we charge $25 plus the cost of the copy which can be cheap for a black
and white copy or really expensive for a color copy.
I do not encourage the use of personal scanners, etc., by patrons to copy
items from our collection. Exceptions are sometimes made. The last time was
in cooperation with the editors and publisher of photo history of our
county. In exchange for our cooperation and access to our collection, we get
a cut of each book sold.
The only exceptions I will allow for scanning/photographing items in our
reference/archival collections is when a researcher needs a copy of an image
that cannot otherwise be reproduced. More often than not this means
oversized or fragile items that cannot be photocopied well or at all. We
have real estate maps and Sanborn insurance maps that cannot be copied by
any means except for digital imaging or photography. We currently do not
charge patrons to make their own images, but we do limit the number of
images a patron can make from these sources.

Scott D. Peters
Research Director/Archivist
Ocean County Historical Society
26 Hadley Ave., P.O. Box 2191
Toms River, NJ 08754-2191
(732) 341-1880

"Telling the Stories of Ocean County"

Historically Speaking
ALHFAM -FPIPN vice-chair for trivia, errata and miscellany

"The ordinary distinctions in society are often vague, and imply no just
pre-eminence: rank and titles are
adventitious things and instead of designating merit or virtue, are
frequently the baubles of imbecility, or
the sparkling decorations of meretricious pageantry"

William Griffith, on behalf, and by order of the New-Jersey Society for
promoting the gradual Abolition
of Slavery, Twelfth Month (December) 20th, 1803