From:
Jason Drebitko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 13:32:13 -0500
Kate--

I neglected to add that the drop off between years one and say four depends
really on the efforts of the marketing dept. and whether or not any new
exhibits open, etc.. It is also pretty typical that after stabilized year,
attendance may fluctuate and even grow a few percentage points each year
--- again depending on what new things there are to see and do.

Jason

 At 10:02 AM 11/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>       Hello folks-
>
>       My visitation theory is that new museum suffer a natural
>       decline in visitation several years after opening. ˙ ˙That no
>       museum maintains opening attendance perpetually, and that
>       without major marketing and/or roofline changes attendance
>       levels will drop from opening attendance and reach a new
>       plateau.
>
>       My director/board now wants to discuss possibility this monday
>       morning, and I need some back-up research. ˙Does anyone have
>       any studies that might back up this trend? ˙You could respond
>       to me off-line.
>
>       Much appreciated.
>
>       ***************************************************************
>       *******************
>       Kate Haley Goldman
>       Program Analyst
>       U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum
>       100 Raoul Wallenberg Place SW
>       Washington, D.C. 20024
>       (202) 488-6153 Telephone
>       (202) 488-2695 Fax
>       ***************************************************************
>       ****************
>
>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ museum-l.html. You may obtain
detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line
e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message
should read "help" (without the quotes).

>[log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
>Museum-L" (without the quotes).

The Office of Thomas J. Martin
Economic Research and Managment Consultants for
Tourism and Public Attractions
24 Thorndike Street
Cambridge, MA 02141
Tel. 617-576-5800