From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:54:56 +0000
There are well-known resources for making websites accessible to users with
visual disabilities: I have listed some at:
http://www.surreymuseums.free-online.co.uk/staff/links.html
(but not checked their validity for some months - additions/corrections
welcome!)
There is much less information out there on making websites intellectually
accessible.  I have been talking with MENCAP
(a leading charity in this area), and they feel that using images is better than
 using makaton or widget (sign languages), but are
still considering this.  They are drawing up guidelines.  I have had an
interesting conversation with a local special school (for children with moderate
and severe learning difficulties), and found that a local bus museum's site is
very popular (and this is among pupils who have low, or no literacy levels), due
 to its home page
- lots of clickable thumbnails of busses.

Best wishes to all

Pat
___
Pat Reynolds - Museums Development Officer - Surrey Museums Consultative
Committee
- a service jointly funded by the county, district and borough councils
130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 1ND, United Kingdom - +44 1483 594624
fax +44 1483 594595 mobile 07899 0679494

Museum-L" (without the quotes).