From:
Len Hambleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 1998 11:50:18 -0400
I am not in favor of an immersion cleaning process for silver because
silver ions are sacrificed and so I consider it deliterious . Looks
great on T.V. and at trade shows ;we are all looking for a quick
cleaning of our silver place settings when Auntie Edna comes to tea.
A further caution not addressed in this discourse today on cleaning
silver concerns  "niello".
Niello is  the black decorative silver sulphide paste ,applied hot to
highlight the details of cast,engraved or chased detail . Excess rubbing
to remove what appears to be "dirt" could contribute to the loss of
original "niello" .
After gentle softening of residues from previous cleanings with mineral
spirits/stoddard's  on a swab ,and changing swabs frequently we were
taught to very lightly coax stubborn products with the opposite end of a
swab stick, shaped to a gentle point.
 Firstly the niello areas should be examined under a mircoscope to check
the coating's stability to see if it is in fact loose. If so
,stop.Proceed no further.
Consult a conservator in your area .

Len Hambleton - Chief Conservator
North Carolina Museum of History
5 East Edenton Street
Raleigh NC. 27601-1011
919-715-0200 x244
"Information in the spirit of sharing,catch the wave!"

Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my
agency