From:
Carol Ely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:37:23 -0500
>> > And on multiple items.  Do you want a WWII army uniform?  I have the
one
> > that belonged to the owner of the newspaper, an automobile dealership,
two
> > mayors, three city councilmen, one superintendent of schools, and a few
> > ranchers.

And to further complicate matters, you never know what's going to suddenly
look important in the future. Maybe next year the Museum will plan an
exhibit on "Our Town Goes to War" and you'll need ALL those uniforms as part
of exhibits telling the stories of local experiences in wartime...

>sausage grinder that's very rusty and that came from Iowa (you are in
>California) in favor of having one that was used on a local farm and is
>in good condition.

And then someone will suggest and fund an exhibit on innovations in sausage
production, complete with local recipes and quaint folk traditions, and
you'll want all the grinders you can get your hands on for the display....

>You might also prefer a copper kettle with a torn
>bottom, but that has clear documentation that it came across the plains
>with a local pioneer, than one that is in better condition but that you
>have absolutely no information about.

And then the education department will ask if there isn't an extra kettle
they can use so kids can pretend that they are pioneers coming across the
plains, since the documented artifact is in a display case....

Ya never know.

Carol Ely
Consultant, Packrat