From:
Tim McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:42:11 -0500
>snip<
>with non-profits asking for help when it is needed.  I do have a problem
>with non-profits that want to get everything for free at the expensive of
>local businesses.

Ah, Mr. Litchfield; you seem to be forgetting that whenever a business is
approached regarding any donation, they always have the option to say, "no."
Donations are not necessarily a one-way street; if the donation of the
groundbreaking shovel(s) is mentioned during the ceremony or in the program,
this can be tantamount to valuable advertising that can more than offset the
cost of the merchandise.  It can also be an opportunity to involve local
businesses in the activities of the museum--this is always a good thing!  At
any rate, isn't it best to let the business concerned decide whether or not
this is something they want to be involved with?

Personally, I've been involved with a museum that was 100% volunteer run,
and the decision to spend 40 or 50 dollars on shovels might mean there
wouldn't be enough money in the budget to pay the phone bill that month.

Tim McShane, Collections Manager
West Parry Sound District Museum