From:
Olivia Anastasiadis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:50:29 -0700
I'd like a director or another board member to weigh in, just to put into
perspective the real monies involved in caring for museum institutions,
because this this thread is getting a little too personal. I believe that
even though I want to make the big bucks like Michael Eisner at Disney does,
it's just not realistic, given the field that I am in.  I've always
supported myself with my museum job, based on a good solid foundation.
Whining never got me anywhere, even with friends and those who would
consider hiring me.  I did not know anyone in the museum field when I first
applied for a job, and I never used my contacts to get a job.  That being
said, the US government pours billions of dollars into education, and a lot
of those funds go to museums.  Aside from corporate and private donors, who
do you think pays for the Smithsonian and NARA payroll!  I may be out of
line here, and I really appreciate hearing from someone who is having a
tough time but you've got to perservere in your career choice.  That's how
you get ahead.

I care about people who want to do a good job and earn decent wages; I also
understand when someone leaves this museum for a better paying job at
another museum.  That's the way it is, and no amount of idealism will change
it.  We don't flunk around here; if we really want it, we go get it, sweat
and all.  EVERYONE tried to talk me out of museum work.  It didn't happen.
My part-timer left her curatorial assistant position to become a
kindergarten teacher.  At her very first job, she is being paid three times
the amount of what I began earning when I first began museum work.  I don't
resent it.  Dear Lori, good luck in your studies, and hopefully your
attitude will become more moderate, as many people read these things that we
write, and they remember who we are when it comes time to hire.

Olivia S. Anastasiadis, Curator
Richard Nixon Library & Birthplace
18001 Yorba Linda Boulevard
Yorba Linda, CA  92886
(714) 993-5075 ext. 224; fax (714) 528-0544