From:
"Ross Weeks Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 21:44:26 -0400
Jack Nokes' comments about Museum News might miss the point.  Yes, there
have been interesting articles (the Enola Gay piece was quite good) but
whether MN "serves" its readers is open to question.  We are not a "trade,"
as if we were plumbers.  We ought to have a magazine that is not simply an
association magazine, IMHO.

The Chronicle of Higher Education emerged from what was once the American
College Public Relations Assn. after its merger with the American Alumni
Assn.  Its founders including Corbin Gwaltney saw an opportunity, took the
risk, and made a go of it. Perhaps CHE would undertake a monthly for museum
people.

>  Consider Museum News for what it is ... a "trade"
> magazine for its membership. With a membership in the thousands, AAM has
an impossible task of publishing articles of value to everyone.

The question is, are the articles generally of value, period.  This thread
began with the  observation the contents seemed political, self-serving, or
whatever, but not objective.

> Any organization that has
> enjoyed AAM's success with membership and annual meeting attendance ought
> to think twice about changing one of its basic services.

Well, it ought to be thinking, anyway.  The museum world is changing.