From:
Marilynn Havelka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:42:22 -0400
I have been thinking about the value of memberships and wanted some
input from others who might be doing the same thing. We have a
relatively small number (150) and we offer the usual (free admission,
gift shop discount, quarterly newsletter (also available on line) , and
hit and miss with membership event. Categories are: individual $30,
Couple $40, family $50 sustaining $100-$499, benefactor $500 - $999 and
patron $1000. The free admission part is for tours of the Greek Revival
mansion. Otherwise entrance to the grounds (1500 acres) with programs,
walking trails, bird banding are basically free so even non-members
benefit from this.
I am taking on the task of calling members to inquire why they are
members, what else would they like to see/ do at the site etc.

My question is why would you want to be a member? The "value" part of
membership (free tours) is not that well used and suspect it is not a
hugh draw - historic house museum - "been there done that" so I expect
most are members because they want to support the cause. How do I get
members more involved (we are a rural location, some members are well
over an hour drive away etc), how do I get them beyond membership to
being donors? volunteers?  Are membership programs worth it, why do some
organizations have or not have them?
Any opinions, information, comments or resources worth pursuing are most
welcome.
Look forward to your emails!
...and thanks
Marilynn