From:
Jim Croft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 1994 07:14:06 +1100
Kimberly Redick of Drexel University writes:

> I have a rather unusual request. I am a graduate student conducting an
> independent study on zoos as vehicles for communicating environmental
> ideas.  Since zoos can be classified as living museums, depending on
> the context, I thought someone on this list may be able to offer some
> input.

And botanic gardens are vegetative zoos and thus green museums...
Try pointing your favourite network information client at our servers
on http://155.187.10.12/ (or gopher://155.187.10.12/1).

The Gardens has an environmental education centre and an education
program that caters for hundreds of classes of mostly primary school
students each year.  The emphasis is providing the Gardens as a resource
that teachers can use education and here is much teaching of teachers,
although there is also direct instruction of students by education staff
and rangers.  The 'teaching the teachers' self-reliance approach vastly
increases the number of groups that the Gardens can handle with limited
staff and has a wider effect of passing on our environmental ideas to
future cohorts of students in the school classroom, even if they do not
visit the Gardens.  The education centre produces a wide range of
cheaply produced but quality-content printed worksheets for students and
resource kits for teachers, and the intention is to add these to the
network.  Contact the Gardens education officer, Julie Foster
([log in to unmask]) for more information.

Are there any zoos out there actively putting their collections and
educational information on the Net through WWW or gopher?  I would like
to to be able to point to them...

jim
Jim Croft           [Herbarium CBG]               internet: [log in to unmask]
Australian National Botanic Gardens                  voice:  +61-6-2509 490
GPO Box 1777, Canberra, ACT 2601, AUSTRALIA            fax:  +61-6-2509 599
                          URL=http://155.187.10.12:80/people/croft.jim.html
______Biodiversity Directorate, Australian Nature Conservation Agency______