Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 10:41:48 -0400
RE:  plastic bags and artifacts

Just another example of how plastic "bags' are used by museums.

Approximately  9 summers ago, I was involved in a major collection move at
the Nation Museum of Science & Technology in Ottawa, Canada.  The move
culminated in the complete relocation of the museum's ground transportation
collection from several storage sites to one.  The move took approximately 3
weeks to complete and in that time we relocated perhaps 75 automobiles, 50
carriages/wagons/sleds and perhaps 20 motorcycles.

The move itself is not really the  issue - the issue, is that we "ziplocked"
each and every one of those blasted vehicles.  Actually we constructed our
own bags by heat sealing "big, bigger and biggest" sheets of plastic
together to meet our needs.  The goal was to get the vehicles into the new
storage area and seal them ASAP to prevent insect migration/infestation.
Once all the vehicles were secured, staff then set about a large scale C02
fumigation process by which affected vehicles were removed from there "bag"
and fumigated.  New bags were constructed as needed.

Since the details provided are a bit sketchy, I recommend anyone who is
interested contact the NMST Conservation department directly.

Patti Davis-Perkins
Artifact Documentation
Canadian Museum of Civilization

Museum-L" (without the quotes).