From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 12:08:54 -0500
All,

The citation we have been dancing about. Apparently the research was done
through the Getty, or at least published by them. Information on Terry
Schaeffer's book on this topic courtesy of Mr. Stefan Michalski, of the
CCI:

Terry's book reviews all the relevant literature, and makes
recommendations. I have cc'd Terry, but I think it fair to say that
although there is no disagreement on the evidence, ie reciprocity holds
reasonably well, and the rest is exposure arithmetic, our approach to
practical advice has a different spin: Terry's advice is a bit more
cautious than mine was, since it assumes the flash may often be of the
professional scale, ie hundreds of times more exposure than an amateur, and
it assumes a very small permissible fractional contribution from the flash.
I, on the other hand, had derived my advice in terms of museum visitor
flash (small power)  and equally importantly, in terms of whether the flash
exposure would approach a similar contribution to that of "good" museum
display lighting in the 50-150 lux (5-15 ftcandles) range. Given my
assumptions, my advice becomes: visitor flash, and the occassional pro
flash,  is never ever a preservation issue in the real museum world. (but
it is still annoying, and can break copyright laws and museum shop sales)
Given her assumptions, Terry's advice would be : take care, do a little
exposure accounting, sometimes you may have to limit flash exposure,
especially professional,  if you want its contribution to be not just a
minority, but negligible compared to the light from normal display.

In any event, if you want a solid citation, you must get Terry's book.
Stefan

Source title.... Effects of light on materials in collections : data on
                  photoflash and related sources
 Series title.... Research in conservation
 Personal author. Schaeffer, Terry T.
 Corp. author.... Getty Conservation Institute
 City............ Los Angeles
 Country......... xxu  United States
 Publisher....... Getty Conservation Trust
 Date/pub........     2001
 Collation....... 211 p.

Something good to add to our libraries. BTW, if anyone is wondering,
reciprocity refers to the notion that light exposure is cumulative in the
long run.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Sue Bodemer
             <bodemers@ROCKWEL
             LMUSEUM.ORG>                                               To
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       Re: visitor photography in museums

             06/02/2004 02:19
             PM

             Please respond to