From:
Mark Sutton Vane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:41:13 GMT
In article: [log in to unmask] writes:

> I am looking for the name and manufacturer of a lighting system that relies
> on cables to both support the fixture and provide power to the fixture.  It's
> low voltage, I think.
>
> Any experiences good or bad with the system will be welcome.

You are right they are low voltage (12 volts usually). The manufacturer you
choose will depend
on the look and function of the lighting you want. One US manufacturer is
Translite Systems in
California, www.translite.com. I have designed this kind of lighting for
museums and leisure
facilities all over the world and points to consider are:

The pairs of cables have to be very tight to avoid sag, so you need good fixing
points.

Electrical contact between the cables and the fixtures is critical. Really
interogate your
manufacturer on how good their contacts are.

There are limits to the numbers of fixtures you can have on any one pair of
wires.

Keep the fixtures away from draughts or air handling outlets, these can make
the fixtures move
and the resulting moving light can be disconcerting.

Remember you have to find a location for a quite bulky transformer near the end
of the pairs of
wires.

Mark.
--
 |                            Sutton Vane Associates                     |
 |                                Lighting Design                        |