From:
Trevor Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 14:36:55 +0000
I see it as perfectly normal for the lender to be present at installation.  We often send a courier to oversee installation of our objects (whether, art, archaeology or social history).  It is essentially our right as owner of the objects (and of course is written into the loan agreement that we get the borrower to sign).

Our representative is there to check the condition of the objects when they are unpacked, to insure that environmental conditions and display methods are safe for the objects and to ensure that the objects are handled properly.  What they are not there to do is get involved with the aesthetics, message or politics or the exhibition (although they might in extreme cases - for example if the exhibition turned out to be inciting racial hatred).

I don't have any problem with lenders/owners being present at installation.  Ultimately if you own something you have the right to control its use, including withdrawing it from the exhibition.  I would hope that the lender/owner would refrain from trying to influence the curatorial judgement of the curator of the exhibition.

Trevor Reynolds
Collections Registrar, English Heritage
Room 605, 23 Savile Row, London, W1S 2ET, UK
tel: +44 (0)20 7973 3482 fax: +44 (0)20 7973 3001 (GTN  3503 3482)

>>> Geri Thomas <[log in to unmask]> 12/19 10:37 pm >>>
Does anyone have experience or guidelines when a lender requests and/or
insists that they be present at the installation of an exhibition?
Especially when all or part of the exhibition is comprised of works they
own?  Would welcome some wisdom here.  Cheers, Geri Thomas

Geri Thomas, President
Thomas & Associates, Inc.
www.artstaffing.com

Please note our new address and numbers:
6 East 39th Street #1200
New York, NY 10016
Phone: 212.779.7059
Fax: 212.779.7096
Email: [log in to unmask]
Cheers!

This e-mail is intended solely for the above-mentioned recipient
and it may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
have received it in error, please notify us immediately and delete
the e-mail. You must not copy, distribute, disclose or take any
action in reliance on it.

English Heritage
Telephone 020 7973 3000
Facsimile 020 7973 3001