From:
Peter van Mensch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 1996 16:10:49 +0100
At 20:44 8-10-96 Fielding Freed wrote:

>I am currently attempting to develop a "checklistt" form that will allow me
to >discern and analyze the various elements of exhibits in natural history
>museums.

In my own museology course I work with a model based on the distinction
between six 'levels' of analysis:

1  conceptual (social, professional) context
2  physical context (location, building, room)
3  purpose
4  structure
5  style
6  technique

The model is based on the recognition of types rather than aiming at
providing a structure for detailed description. If you (or any other
Museum-L participant) want more information, I can send it by (snail) mail.

A more down-to-earth type of checklist can be found in the good old
'Communicating with the Museum Visitor', published by the Royal Ontario
Museum (Toronto 1976).

A different approach can be found in Thomas Schlereth's 'Artifacts and the
American Past (Nashville 1981) Appendix 3: Historical Museum Exhibit Review.

Finally, it might be interesting to read:
Paulette McManus, 'Reviewing the Reviewers. Towards a Critical Language for
Didactic Science Exhibitions', The International Journal of Museum
Management and Curatorship 5, 1986, (3): 213-226.

Dr Peter van Mensch
senior lecturer of theoretical museology and museum ethics
Reinwardt Academie
Dapperstraat 315
1093 Amsterdam
(the Netherlands)