From:
John Gavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:27:10 -0500
My museum recently received an unsolicited package in the mail from a
distant museum. Inside were some artifacts that were interesting, and
related to our museum's mission. The curator who sent the items stated that
they were from a collection that was being processed: "if your museum is not
interested in these objects please feel free to send them on to another
facility that may be interested or dispose of them for the good of your
organization." She tells me a bit of history about the original owner of the
collection, but dosen't state any information on ownership, like who signs
the donation form?? When I opened the package I was immediately subjected to
overwhelming mold and mildew and shortly noticed that it had bugs too! I had
my registrar place them in the freezer for now. I intend to write to the
director of the museum and point out the unprofessional actions of her
curator, but I though I would get the opinions of forum subscribers first.
Am I over reacting?? Thanks.