From:
Anna Fariello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:23:38 -0500
Every museum director should have--at his or her right hand--a deputy
director who is directly responsible for coordinating the museum's
fiscal policy and its impact on the long term health of the
institution.  That doesn't mean that a museum or non-profit should be
HEADED by someone with those skills.  As I tried to point out in an
earlier posting, a museum director would consult with many others
with respect to specific skills, security, conservation, building,
landscaping, etc.
Security provides a good example.  If a museum was suffering so much
vandalism or breeches of security that its future was threatened, the
board still would not rush off and hire someone with a criminal
justice background to head the museum.
I hope my analogy points out how ludicrous this situation is for
today's museums and the trend to set them up with business people at
the helm.
Anna

--
Anna Fariello, Curatorial InSight, Box 505, Christiansburg VA 24068
www.curatorialinsight.com;  540-382-3946;  [log in to unmask]